WWE Megathread

• 60 Replies

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
WWE Megathread
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:22 PM »

DDP joins Angle and Teddy Long in this year's Hall of Fame class.

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
Re: WWE Megathread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:06:48 PM »
The interesting thing is that his Hall of Fame video doesn't even mention his time in WWE.  Not really a surprise, since it was awful, but interesting nonetheless.

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »
I have to say that thus far the only 2017 Hall of Fame inductee that I care about is Teddy Long.  I never really cared for Diamond Dallas Page nor Kurt Angle.  But DDP's work after retiring with DDPYoga and Jake Roberts and Scott Hall definitely makes him worthy of it.

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:42:40 PM »
Teddy is one of those guys who, I feel, is getting inducted because he's been around forever moreso than because he did anything particularly memorable.  Most of the fans only know him as "the guy with a fetish for tag team matches".  He's been a manager, a referee, and Smackdown GM, but he wasn't a manager in the same way that Bobby Heenan or Sherri were.  He was more of a Col. Robert Parker.  There forever, but never really did anything that mattered.

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:43:38 AM »
I mostly know Teddy Long as referee and SmackDown general manager.  I missed his period as manager as I took a break from the WWE from about 2000 until 2007.  I just think he has charisma.

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
He managed quite a bit, mostly in WCW.  But largely he managed people in the undercard.  He was the manager of Doom when they won the WCW Tag Team Titles, but by the time Simmons was ready to become the World Champion, Long had moved on to another undercard team.  His managing in WWE was largely the same, undercard talent who mostly never went anywhere.  He managed the Undertaker and Sid Vicious in WCW, though obviously well before he was the Undertaker.  He managed Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero briefly, but both quickly jettisoned him as he didn't add anything.

He's had a long career, but I think it is a stretch to say that it is Hall of Fame worthy.  That's the problem with inducting eight or nine people every year.  You only want to do a handful of major stars at a time, but that means you get a lot of inductions like Koko B. Ware, the Big Boss Man, and the Godfather.  None of them really deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.  And let's not even talk about the "celebrity wing" nonsense.

UltraStar

• Fear the Probe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
I thought for sure Steph was gonna fire Mick last night.

Also the Owens/Goldberg match should be interesting if Joe is going to be backing KO up.
Maybe we'll see Owens and Joe pwn Goldberg so he doesn't win the title... and then Brock comes out to even it out again allowing Goldberg to actually win the title. It serves Brock's best interest for Goldberg to win that title before Mania.

UltraStar

• Fear the Probe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »
Ok, since this is my 11th post, let's see if I can post links now...
Something interesting happened after Raw went off the air last night.

If you smell what I'm cooking...

And some more with the Rock in the ring getting crowd reactions...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:49:31 PM by UltraStar »

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
I thought for sure Steph was gonna fire Mick last night.

I'm sure she will eventually.  He is taking some time off for hip replacement, so they're likely building to that.  Probably a WrestleMania thing.

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
They'll probably make Michael Cole RAW GM to replace him.

I haven't watched Smackdown yet, (I typically watch RAW and Smackdown on Hulu two days after they initially air), but since WWE has been blasting this all over social media tonight...

I'm sad that Naomi had to give up the Smackdown Women's championship.  I thought it was a long time coming.  I knew she wouldn't hold onto it long, championships get passed around like chain e-mail messages these days.  But still, two weeks?

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:52 PM »
It has been suggested that Kurt Angle may replace Foley.

As to Naomi, I felt that it was a bad time to put the belt on her anyway.  I know they wanted a hometown champion for WrestleMania, but Alexa Bliss has been red hot since the roster split, taking the title off of her for the biggest show of the year made no sense.  Naomi came out of nowhere to suddenly be number one contender, the whole thing really felt rushed.

UltraStar

• Fear the Probe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 12:35:08 AM »
It has been suggested that Kurt Angle may replace Foley.

Hmmm...
Yes. She would do that, wouldn't she...

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 09:33:55 AM »
I would love to see her try to hire JBL away from commentary on Smackdown by offering him the GM position.  I think that he would do better in that role, and a four person announce team is really too crowded.  On the other hand, Tom Phillips is bland as hell and Otunga is useless.  Ranallo would be fine if he could stop pretending to be Joey Styles with every high spot.  "Mamma mia!" will never be "Oh my God!"

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
I don't know what WWE is doing with all those announcers.  Four for Smackdown, three for NXT, and the occasional three for Main Event are just too much.

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »
I don't mind a three person announce team.  When properly used, it can add a lot to the match.  One person doing straight play-by-play on the match, plus a heel and a face on colour commentary works very well.  WCW was at its best using this format, with Tennay providing insight into the match while Heenan and Schiavone bickered about things.

The problem is that most of the announcers suck.  Otunga is completely awful, and spent all of about six minutes as an in ring wrestler.  Trying to pretend that he has any kind of expertise to fill the "former wrestler turned announcer" mold of JBL, Monsoon, Ventura, or Savage is absurd.  He also has no charisma.  Percy Watson suffers from the same issue down in NXT, except that he clearly has some level of charisma, he just hasn't quite figured it out yet.  He might turn out to be decent one day, and pairing him with Nigel could be very helpful.

The nicest things you can say about Tom Phillips is that he's a poor man's Michael Cole.  But Michael Cole is the dollar store knockoff of Jim Ross, so that really isn't any kind of endorsement of Phillips.  That being said, Michael Cole had no business at the announce table for years before finally settling into the spot, so perhaps Phillips will go the same way.

As I said before, Ranallo is actually quite good at what he does.  My only real complaint is his over-reliance on catchphrases in a way that feels forced.  Lawler and Ross also had catchphrases, so did Heenan and Styles.  But all of them felt natural.  Ranallo's feel very forced, especially for someone who comes across as quite authentic in every other situation.  He really needs to go watch some tapes of Mike Tennay in WCW.  Ditch the catchphrases and just do commentary.  There are enough people at the table, there's no need to sacrifice his credibility so he can do an awful Joey Styles impression once a show.

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
They need to think future.  Make a new Heenan.  Years later when the franchise baby face turns mega heel, he becomes the most trusted announcer.

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
It would be quite difficult to manufacture a new Heenan.  He'd have to be quick witted and able to improvise, something that WWE's current talent is not encouraged to do.  CM Punk could have easily become the next Heenan, but that would not be for many years since, were he still in WWE, his in ring career wouldn't be close to over.  Corey Graves might manage it, but he's not there yet.  I can't think of anyone else who is comfortable enough on the mic to make the transition to announcing.  It's a very fine line to walk, especially for a heel.  The biggest problem is that most heels make the commentary about themselves, not the people in the ring.  Which can be fine in small doses (such as guest announcing before the interference in a rival's match), but would not work as a full time announcer.  Punk was great at that, because he could offer commentary without being dragged into the egotistical "I'm better than everyone" stuff that bogs down most heels on commentary.  It's really too bad that WWE pissed him off so much.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 12:02:47 PM »
Ventura was just honest to a point.  Since there is so much sunshine blown up a face's ass, it's easy to point out the shadows.

And that there is a sentence you have never heard or read before.

Amber

• ملكة الثدي
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »
We knew that there was at least one female superstar unannounced.  Beth Phoenix is a good choice.