Star Trek: Discovery

• 69 Replies

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
Star Trek: Discovery
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
Star Trek: Discovery has a new rumored estimated premiere date: "September-ish."

Recently, actor Doug Jones sat down with the Triumph & Disaster podcast to talk about his acting history, and of course the conversation turned to #StarTrekDiscovery. Jones plays Lt Saru on the new Star Trek show, a character who serves aboard the USS Discovery.

[...]Unfortunately, Jones wasn't allowed to reveal any more information about Star Trek: Discovery, but he did talk about when the show would air. While many fans were expecting to have to wait until late Fall to see the USS Discovery finally leave spacedock, according to Jones' calculations the show will air much earlier than we thought.

"It'll air... probably in the Fall. Maybe September-ish."

Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:18:27 PM »
I really wish we could get another show like TNG, or DS9, or even voyager/enterprise. I want a decent sci-fi show that doesnt have bad language or lots of gore/violence, so I can watch it with my daughter in the room.

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:29:50 PM »
I want a decent sci-fi show that doesnt have bad language or lots of gore/violence

You and me both, you and me both.  The gore/graphic violence started ramping up around 2000, and then it reached a tipping point around 2010 where now it's just out of control.  Before, I would just skip television programs rated TV-MA and felt relatively safe watching anything rated TV-14.  But over the past few years, even TV-14 rated television programs can be gory/graphically violent.  Now, I usually wait two or three months after a show that looks interesting starts, and then I check it on the IMDB Parents' Guide and Common Sense Media websites to see how they rate the show's violence.  As such, with the exceptions of the DC programs and WWE wrestling, most television shows I watch are from before 2000.

I really hope Star Trek: Discovery will be okie for me to watch without keeping a bucket and towel nearby. 

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:52:36 AM »
I don't even mind gore/violence/profanity/nudity. It is just that it seems like that is all there is now.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 05:49:04 AM »
It's called the HBO Recipe.

UltraStar

• Fear the Probe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:58 PM »
It's at a point where you almost have to eat some 'member berries to go back to the sci-fi glory days of TV.
We recently got TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise on the Space channel again here which is great.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:45:11 AM »
I am quite enjoying The Expanse.

Not suitable for a younger audience though.

UltraStar

• Fear the Probe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
I am quite enjoying The Expanse.

Not suitable for a younger audience though.

Yeah The Expanse is great.
Of the newer sci-fi outer-space shows I like Dark Matter and Killjoys as well.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
Dark matter I like.  Behind on killjoy and way behind on expanse.

Can't argue with Thomas Jane in a show.

La De Da

• King Arbuckle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
Isaacs joins as the Captain, along with Wiseman

Jason Isaacs will play Captain Lorca of the U.S.S. Discovery. The British actor’s credits include Event Horizon, The Patriot, several Harry Potter films, the Rosemary’s Baby miniseries with Zoe Saldana, and Dig. Current and upcoming projects include The OA, London Fields and Hotel Mumbai.

Mary Wiseman will beam aboard the show as Tilly, a Starfleet Academy cadet in her final year of study, assigned to the U.S.S. Discovery. Among the recent Juilliard graduate's TV credits are Difficult People, Longmire and Baskets. Her stage credits include The Octoroon, Therese Raquin (Broadway debut) and The Skin of Our Teeth, currently running at the Theater for a New Audience in Brooklyn, New York.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »
Cool, I really like Jason Isaacs. I would be great to see him get a long running series. I was disappointed Awake didn't get a longer run.

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »
The First Officer of the Discovery is the main character of the show, not the Captain.  So I have a feeling that he's going to bite it by the end of the first season, and the First Officer takes command.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 04:46:31 AM »
Bastards!

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
I'll make you a MASTER of LLAP-Goch
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

La De Da

• King Arbuckle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »
Gawker; If we can shit on it, you'll hear here first. Honestly, if it means we'll get a top notch show when it comes out, I'm fine with waiting. It's already in production, so it's only a matter of time.

In actual news: Five new cast members been added.

Shazad Latif will star as Lieutenant Tyler, a Starfleet officer in the Federation. Latif is known for his role as Dr. Henry Jekyll in the television series Penny Dreadful.  Latif was originally announced in the role of Kol, now played by Kenneth Mitchell.

Rekha Sharma is set as Commander Landry, the Discovery’s security officer. Sharma’s television credits include Battlestar Galactica and The 100.

Kenneth Mitchell will portray Kol, a commanding officer in the Klingon Empire. Mitchell’s television credits include the fan-favorite Jericho on CBS, The Astronaut Wives Club and Frequency.

Clare McConnell gets in on the action as Dennas, a leader in the Klingon Empire. McConnell’s film credits include Dim the Fluorescents, slated for release this fall.

Cast as Ujilli, a leader in the Klingon Empire, is Damon Runyan. His television credits include Suits, Supernatural and Gangland Undercover.

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
ya, but usually constant delays don't fortell a quality product, bu rather are a indicator of poor resource management and planning.

La De Da

• King Arbuckle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 10:57:03 PM »
Yeah, Gawker right on point, this delay shit is CBS's fault.

Hell, looking at a show like MST3K, maybe a few more months would help it. Not to say the new season of show is all back, but it's not great either. I don't think the new season was delayed longer than a few months, Discovery is looking a year past it's really promised date. Kind of like video games, delaying something to tune it up, tighten graphics on level 3, or whatever is fine as long as high-quality product in the end, but if something gets delayed for this long and still turn out of to be crap, people will be royally pissed.

I really hope this turns out to be this generation's "The Next Generation" or Star Trek might be screwed for a good long while.

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 01:05:31 AM »
I'm telling y'all, someone is trying to kill this show in the crib.
I'll make you a MASTER of LLAP-Goch
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

UltraStar

• Fear the Probe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
I have a bad feeling about this show.  :-\
I keep hoping I'm wrong but there's been nothing to convince me otherwise except hope.

La De Da

• King Arbuckle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »