This Season

• 146 Replies

La De Da

• King Arbuckle
    • View Profile
Re: This Season
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »
*Looks at the thumbnail for Welcome to the Ballroom.*  What's up with the neck, elongation fashionable in anime now?

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »
I'd be surprised if they did.  Maybe in the future.

Kado: A Japanese government negotiator saves a metal works, and it goes deep on the titles and bureaucratic crap.  Then giant magic cubes come down around the country and suck people up.  Then the main characters are gone inside the cube and they kind of half-assedly examine the cubes with fire hoses and bulldozers (the main scientist is really silly).  Finally, they hit it with tank rounds and that causes it to open.

I'm interested, it looks like Sidonia's animation.

My initial impression was all wrong, I thought this was an RL/fantasy anime.  But it's more like if Mxyzpltk appeared and didn't understand humans, but had to interact with Japanese bureaucracy.  He forces a plane full of people to stay on the plane for about 30 days (he does feed them at least)! 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:00:59 PM by Bad Luck »
I'll make you a MASTER of LLAP-Goch
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »

@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

indestructigal

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2017, 03:32:47 PM »
*Looks at the thumbnail for Welcome to the Ballroom.*  What's up with the neck, elongation fashionable in anime now?
I got to see the first episode and the art is a little weird. Lots of hyper-extended limbs and bold sharp lines. It fits the subject matter, but I'm still not too fond of the style.

The show is not bad. It follows a predictable "high school kid has no idea what to do with his life discovers XYZ is his true calling" story line with XYZ = ballroom dancing. It's probably more interesting for folk who are interested in ballroom dancing.

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
Hah, anime can be about anything.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Kabukibu: It's a kabuki school club show.  I don't care about kabuki.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
Love Tyrant: I kinda like the OP

It's like Death Note, but for Cupid?  The person who's name is written in the book has to kiss somebody in 24 hours or die.

@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »

His voice is pretty fitting.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »
Rage of Bahamut-Virgin Soul: Direct continuation from Rage of Bahamut.  The artwork is still very very nice.  The humans have started enslaving and abusing demons, and a rogue demon is fighting for their freedom.  The main character is happy-go-lucky adventurer girl, who apparently turns into a red dragon when she's to close to a dude.  Looks like it's on Amazon.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »
Hinako Note: It reminds me a lot of Lucky Star.  An extremely shy girl moves to the city, makes friends in a quaint bookstore/cafe and then joins a theater troop.  Not bad, but not that interesting either.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
Twin Angels Break: It's a magic girls show, but the mascot's a hedgehog.  Meh.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »
Re-Creators: Heh, a glasses POV?  Very interesting, looks like a nerd drags a fantasy anime heroine into the real world.  Music is pretty outstanding too.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

indestructigal

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
Re-Creators: Heh, a glasses POV?  Very interesting, looks like a nerd drags a fantasy anime heroine into the real world.  Music is pretty outstanding too.
I like re:Creators a lot. All the things you said are true. The first episode was excellent. However, other episodes are not always stellar. There's a lot of exposition ... so many episodes just draaaaaaag along. Then you'll get another very good one.

At least for me, there's not quite enough good stuff to balance to "blah." I watched most of the fist season, but I'm going to wait for the second season to end before starting up again.

indestructigal

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »
Made in Abyss (Amazon - Anime Strike)
This show is a good argument for why Amazon's entry into anime streaming, and the resulting split of shows across different subscription barriers, really sucks. I had a chance to watch the show. It's gorgeous. The music is good. The characters are interesting.

It's about a town that sits at the top of a massive pit called the Abyss. The main character is a young girl, Riko, who lives in an orphanage that trains it's occupants to be Abyss Hunters. Abyss Hunters delve into the very dangerous Abyss to search for artifacts to bring back. Riko yearns to follow in the footsteps of her mother, who was a famous Abyss Hunter. In the first episode, a series of events leads Riko to discover a young boy who is some kind of robot who came up from the Abyss.

Everything seems to be great about it ... except that it's locked in Amazon's Anime Strike service.

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
Eromanga-sensei: It reminds me of that Imouto anime.  Which was well done, but still creepy.  A manga writer brother lives alone with his shut in manga artist sister and no parents.  Also there's a class rep who's evil.  The sister is insanely selfish.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:54:52 PM by Bad Luck »
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Tsugumomo: It's a show about a kid who carries around his dead mom's obi until it's possessed by a spirit who fights other spirits.  Pretty decent.  MC gets a lot of shit about his dick though.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:31:06 PM by Bad Luck »
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »
Don't know why their world isn't fucking dead because of everybody's desires coming to life and wrecking shit, but whatever.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
The Eccentric Family 2: It's back!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:30:33 PM by Bad Luck »
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »
The Grimoire of Zero: A young witch teams up with a were-cat mercenary.  Seems interesting.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »
WorldEnd: What are you doing at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?:  What a name.   

Five hundred years have passed since the humans went extinct at the hands of the fearsome and mysterious "Beasts." The surviving races now make their homes up on floating islands in the sky, out of reach of all but the most mobile of Beasts.

Only a small group of young girls, the Leprechauns, can wield the ancient weapons needed to fend off invasions from these creatures. Into the girls' unstable and fleeting lives, where a call to certain death could come at any moment, enters an unlikely character: a young man who lost everything in his final battle five hundred years ago, the last living human awakened from a long, icy slumber.

Unable to fight any longer, Willem becomes the father that the girls never had, caring for and nurturing them even as he struggles to come to terms with his new life, in which he feels the pain of helplessly waiting for his loved ones to return home from battle that his "Daughter" once felt for him so long ago. Together, Willem and the girls gradually come to understand what family means and what is truly worth protecting.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube