ROM

• 7 Replies

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
ROM
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:27:29 AM »
Comixology held a "World of Hasbro" sale last week, so I picked up the rest of ROM's comic books from IDW's ROM reboot last year thus far.  It's an interesting modern take on ROM.

I remember reading the old Marvel ROM comic books in the early-to-mid 1980s.  In fact, I even had a subscription until the end.  I was excited that IDW was going to give him a reboot and relaunch... until Hasbro decided to tie in the new ROM with the other Hasbro comic books, (G.I. Joe, Transformers, Micronauts, Action Man, M.A.S.K., et al.).  I didn't want to be bogged down in all that other crap.  So I mostly held off until the Comixology sale last week and decided to give it a go.  I'm glad I did.

Other than ROM and the Dire Wraiths, most of what are in the books is new, including the supporting cast.  ROM himself now has actual fingers, and hails from Elonia, (no longer from Galador).  The two humans he meets and befriends are Darby Mason, a soldier (not active) suffering from PTSD whose family was wiped out by the Dire Wraiths, and Camilla Byers, a California police officer marked by the Dire Wraiths and whose partner was killed by them. 

I just hope that ROM never crosses over with My Little Ponies.  :-\

Re: ROM
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:18:29 AM »
Glowing. Red. Nipples.

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
Dang it, Austin.  I never realized that until you pointed it out.  Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to unsee.

... I still hope Hasbro makes a new ROM toy.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
I hope if they do that the Red nipples are launchable rockets.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 05:44:32 PM »
Aside from the glowing red nipples (they actually seem to be a lot lower - on his abdomen - than nipples would be) I like the Rom redesign.

I'll have to check IDW's stuff out. I still have a soft spot for Micronauts and Transformers, too.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »
ROM has been around since the 70s.  Some sagging is to be expected.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »
ROM has been around since the 70s.  Some sagging is to be expected.

I waited ten days for this response? Can I get a refund?  8)

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »
"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient. "