I'll make you a MASTER of LLAP-Goch
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
Re: City of Heroes
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 09:40:22 AM »
Thanks.  I created an account, but I'm undecided if I will play or not.  First the whole SCoRE fiasco, and now it turns out an admin on the new server already went "rogue" and boosted his or her buddies' toons to level 50 over the weekend, causing a character wipe next weekend.  Not very confidence boosting. :P

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »
looks like they shut it down already, I suppose it would be too difficult/costly to setup a private server to solo on?

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 08:44:57 PM »
Probably not, considering how old it is but I don't know.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 08:46:38 PM »
I suspect this won't be the end of private servers though, someone is going to do another exclusive one and probably work harder at keeping it hidden.

It's a shame, the level of interest is still really high obviously.  But people probably won't take the chance on having this many people hosted going forward.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:06:50 PM by Bad Luck »
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 09:47:10 AM »
It's more expensive than you think.  For *one* person, you need a minimum of two physical computer servers, preferably three.  All have a minimum of 32 GB of RAM, powerful CPUs, Windows Server 2008 or 2012 Enterprise, and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or 2012 Enterprise.  The average Joe ain't going to be able to do it, nonetheless afford it.

It turns out the three day weekend server cost $2,500 to set up.  It would cost an additional $2,500 per month to run.

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »
 :o
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »
Its kinda back again! I say kinda cause the servers are down at the moment

indestructigal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »
I'm running a private server on my home PC under a VM and connecting to it from the same PC (instructions). Probably wouldn't be able to host a lot of simultaneous users, but it runs just fine as a single user private server.

I would say it took about an hour to set up - including download times, but it probably helps to know your way around IT a bit (like knowing how to fire up SSMS to execute the SQL commands for creating user accounts).

Might try to do a scratch install next weekend so I don't have to run VM Player.

Bad Luck

• wha fuh
    • View Profile
    • Bad Luck
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »
I got my necro/kin mm to 40, I have no idea how to build him because I can't find a single kinetic mastermind guide anywhere.
@MisterPiggins
Bad Luck on Youtube

Apparition

• View Profile
    • Comic Books Chat
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 08:55:12 AM »
FWIW, I just started a new unofficial fan forum for City of Heroes, City of Titans, and Ship of Heroes here.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 02:59:44 AM »
I'm running a private server on my home PC under a VM and connecting to it from the same PC (instructions). Probably wouldn't be able to host a lot of simultaneous users, but it runs just fine as a single user private server.

I would say it took about an hour to set up - including download times, but it probably helps to know your way around IT a bit (like knowing how to fire up SSMS to execute the SQL commands for creating user accounts).

Might try to do a scratch install next weekend so I don't have to run VM Player.

Oh my God!

I missed the initial explosion about this. I have got to try and run a server.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »

Have you had any luck?

I had a little go running through the i24 instructions but run out of time.

The i24 build is being updated constantly so I think the instructions haven't been qa'd.

Like the MasterSolution build process creates some schema but not all. I need to manually create the chat server schema.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »
Started building an i24 server from scratch again. This time using separate db schema scripts. Seemed to work okay and was able to build a character and launch into Galaxy tutorial.

Need to learn the Admin commands now.

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 12:43:59 AM »
Can you screw around with builds and stuff? I read some guy was making like mm with a melee secondary or something like that.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 04:05:57 AM »
Probably. You have access to everything including the tools Cryptic used to build their piggs.

I am not a C programmer, so I have yet to delve into the code beyond compiling the stuff.

Besides a bug in the Galaxy tutorial my standalone server runs well. Takes a few moments to spawn a new instance, but other than that my laptop handles it fine.

indestructigal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 11:13:03 PM »
Have you had any luck?
I haven't had enough time to mess around with it ... poor work-life balance lately :-(

I did find the github repos and the Discord channels. In fact, you might check out the City of Heroes Discord's i24-code-discussion channel for setup help.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
In fact, you might check out the City of Heroes Discord's i24-code-discussion channel for setup help.
That's where I am spending a lot of my time lately.
I have a Repo containing my Work Log
I have a running local server.
I've got the AuthServer working and am currently working on the Account settings.

Jagged

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »
Can you screw around with builds and stuff? I read some guy was making like mm with a melee secondary or something like that.
Turns out if you run your own server you have total godlike powers and can simply assign and remove from a character any powers you like.